Unpacking the WIZ500SR-RP
What's in the Box?
The WIZ500SR-RP evaluation board package contains the following parts.
- WIZ500SR-RP Module
The entire list of parts of the board is available at the WIZ500SR-RP Overview: Product Contents page.
As WIZ500SR-RP does not have Serial and Ethernet port, two evaluation boards are needed to get started working with module: WIZ500/505SR-RP-EVB and WIZ500SR-RP-EVB.
|Figure: WIZ500SR-RP Revision 1.0 Top|
Prerequisites for Setup
- Configuration tool program (Download page)
- TCP server / TCP client / UDP terminal program
- Serial terminal program
- WIZ500SR-RP module
- Ethernet cable
- DB9 serial RS-232 cable (for Data UART, RS-232/TTL Ver. only)
- Such as 5V DC adapter, USB port on your computer, or 3.3V Power source
Connect Your WIZ500SR-RP
WIZ500SR-RP Factory Settings
|Network Settings||Local||IP address||192.168.11.2||-|
|:::||:::||DNS server||22.214.171.124||Google Public DNS|
|Serial Port Settings||Data UART||115200-8-N-1 / Flow Control: None||-|
|:::||Debug UART||115200-8-N-1 / Flow Control: None||Fixed|
- Operation mode: TCP server mode
- Debug message: Enabled
- Serial command mode switch: Enabled
- Serial command mode switch code: +++ (hex code, [2B][2B][2B])
- Data packing option - Time: Disabled
- Data packing option - Size: Disabled
- Data packing option - Char: Disabled
- Inactivity Timer: Disabled
- Reconnection Timer: 3 second
- Keep-Alive: Enabled, 7-sec initial delay, 5-sec send interval
Double check that the WIZ500SR-RP and the PC, or laptop you are using to set up WIZ500SR-RP with are both in the same Ethernet network.
Example: PC Network Settings
When the WIZ500SR-RP's settings are factory default,
|Network Settings||PC or laptop|
- User should to matching the network settings of 'WIZ500SR-RP's remote host' and 'PC (or laptop)' for testing TCP client/mixed mode.
- If the DHCP(automatic IP allocation) is used, both the WIZ500SR-RP and test PC must be set to be assigned the same IP from the same router.
The WIZ500/505SR-RP-EVB is designed to use the DB9 connector to connect with the user’s serial device. Therefore, it is recommended to have all Ethernet and serial ports connected to the PC when testing. If the PC does not have a serial port, please purchase a RS-232 to USB converter separately.
Step 1: Plug in
Connect the WIZ500SR-RP module to evaluation board WIZ500/505SR-RP-EVB and WIZ500SR-RP-EVB, also the cable as shown in the picture below.
- Ethernet Cable
- Used to connect the evaluation board’s RJ-45 connector and the PC’s Ethernet network interface card (PC's RJ-45 connector)
- Serial Cable
- Used to connect the evaluation board’s DB9 connector and the serial interface card (DB9 connector). If the PC does support serial interface, use the RS-232 to USB converter.
- Optional: USB type B cable (for debug message)
- Used to connect the evaluation board’s USB connector and the PC’s USB connector.
Image to be added
Step 2: Power on
Connect the 5V power adaptor or USB cable to the evaluation board and turn on the power switch.
- The power LED will turn red once the evaluation board is on.
Image to be added
Step 3: Search
Open the configuration tool and click the search button. If the board is turned on and connected to the same network, the MAC address or settings of the WIZ500SR-RP module can be checked using the configuration tool.
|Figure: WIZnet Configuration Tool|
Step 4: Set up your WIZ500SR-RP
Change the settings accordingly to the customer’s environment. The test shown in this document is based on factory setting.
Click Apply Settings button to save the changes in settings of the configuration tool.
Step 5: Connect
Connect the PC as the TCP client of the user’s serial device for data communication testing. In order to do this, the serial terminal program / TCP client terminal program must be opened on the PC. The serial terminal program and TCP client program must be set as below.
- Serial terminal program: 115200-8-N-1, Flow control: None
- TCP client program: 192.168.11.2:5000 (The IP address and port number of WIZ500SR-RP)
The COM port for serial terminal program connection can be checked as below.
- Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager
|Figure: Device Manager|
Step 6: Verify
The basic data communication of the WIZ500SR-RP can be verified as below.
- Serial to Ethernet: data communication verification
- Enter the character string in the serial terminal and check if the identical character string appears on the TCP client terminal.
- Ethernet to Serial: data communication verification
- Enter the character string in the TCP client terminal and check if the identical character string appears on the serial terminal.
Step 7: Done
Now you’re ready to use the WIZ500SR-RP!
- This document is based on the assumption of the PC as the serial device / remote network device.
- The next step is to connect the WIZ500SR-RP module to the target serial device and check if the device can communicate, control, and monitor via the remote PC or monitoring server.
If there is any problem?
Please refer to our Troubleshooting guide!